Wednesday, September 30, 2015

What I've Been Up To..

Life has been great here in Lithuania. Especially this last weekend!
Saffron & I got up early on Saturday to catch a 10AM bus to Kaunas, the second largest city in Lithuania (which is also the city I will be teaching in this coming January!) We went to go visit the current teachers there. They invited us to come spend the day with them ice skating, shopping and going to the cinema. The ride there was very misty and serene and I listened to Elton John & John Denver the entire way and it felt very peaceful. They met us at the Akropolis mall and we started off with some Kronuts & coffee!


Okay. These things are unreal. And may have confirmed for me that yes, I am definitely supposed to come to Kaunas this Spring. But also might be trouble because I may have to eat one of these each day. They were literally out of this world. I have never tasted a better donut. Forget the Fractured Prune. The first one I had was creamy chocolate icing with chopped hazelnuts on top. The second one was a very creamy strawberry icing with little rice krispie beads on top. Wowwwwwie!

After we stuffed ourselves on Kronuts, we went to purchase our return bus tickets. We planned to leave back to Vilnius that evening, but the receptionist told us "No night bus, next bus is morning." My eyes widened and I began to flip a little bit. Not that it would be that big of a deal, but I didn't prepare to spend the night and I didn't have my Thyroid medicine or anything so it caused a little panic inside of me. We asked again, and she definitely rolled her eyes. I asked if there was a bus that leaves a little earlier maybe around 17:00 tonight. And she said yes.

Okay? So then I asked if there was a bus that left around 19:30 or 19:45. She said "yes."

Ummm....what? Clearly you said there was No night bus but okay, I'll take it. Anyway, it all turned out fine but I was super annoyed that it had to be so difficult. Language barriers, man.

We went ice skating next! We paid 3 euros for an hour of ice skating, including skates! Killer deal!


Me, Emily, Saffron, Morgan, Klarissa & Cynthia! Such fun girls. I had such a blast hanging out with them :) It was especially nice talking with Cynthia because she is the Head Teacher of Kaunas, so we just discussed Head Teacher business for a looong time and it was very helpful for me. 

I had a super funny video of me ice skating and falling but it got erased somehow :( It was a lot of fun. They wanted to shop around a bit, so we shopped for a little while (I don't have like any extra money for shopping so I choose not to browse too much or else I will buy something compulsively.) We stopped at a candy shop before the movie and stocked up on goodies. I was really feeling the sour gummy candies and the jelly beans. Nom. We went to the cinema at 3:20 to see the movie "Everest." The cinemas here are exquisite! The seats were like wooowww so comfortable and this stadium was humongous! The film was in 3D and it cost 7 euros to see it. A 3D film in America is like, $11-$13, isn't it? This one was under $10! Awesome. The film was incredible. I really loved it. It's terrifying and very emotional, but it was very visually stimulating and it is based on John Krakauer's expedition to Mount Everest and the guides that took him there. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

After the film, we went to Soya to eat Asian food. I had some really great chicken Pad Thai, but it definitely made me miss eating Pad Thai with Tim at Benja's & Royal Thai Cuisine!! 

I genuinely enjoyed hanging out with the Kaunas girls. They are all very bright and sweet and I really enjoyed getting to know each of them. I can't wait to hang out with them again! 

On the bus ride home Saffron & I chatted straight the whole way home about life and religion and all kinds of things. I love Saffron. I have definitely grown the closest with her during my time here, and consider her a very dear friend. 

The next morning, Saffron really wanted to attend a Japanese Anime convention that was being held here in Vilnius. Now comic/Anime conventions are totally not my thing but I'm not really supposed to allow anyone to go out into town alone, so I offered to accompany her. She dressed up and looked darling, and she was so excited to see some of her favourite characters dressed up! It was interesting. There was a nice showing though where people who dressed up could go onto the stage and do a little skit or dance to show off their character. I enjoyed that part the most. There were a lot of booths set up where people were selling their own Anime art and there were places to play Guitar Hero, Just Dance, and there was a karaoke booth! But it was super awkward. It was set up in a little corner and the lady had me sit down and put some head phones on and she stood like right in front of me and filmed me. Only thing was, no one outside of the headphones could hear the music. Only I could. So that was strange. I have no idea where the video will end up, but it was an interesting experience. 


Drinking Bubble Tea! 

After the convention, Saffron wanted to throw a Japanese Curry night. She had some curry that she had brought home from Japan when she went. So she had us each buy some vegetables and she came over to the apartment to cook it. It was DAMN delicious. I am still dreaming about it. We put peppers, zucchini, potatoes, and onions in it. Then she added the curry mix and we had it with rice. I had never had Curry before this, but I absolutely loved it. I wish she brought an endless supply so we could make it more often! :) 


It was a lovely evening! 
Today is Wednesday and I went to the doctor with Dima. I had to get my blood tested for my Thyroid, to determine if I'd be okay to go to Kaunas in the Spring. The process went so smoothly (thankfully) and now I am just awaiting my results! I'll need to send them home and have my doctor check them and decide if she needs to modify my medicine or not. I basically stressed for no reason because, so far, the process has been completely painless and simple. I am really grateful for that. Tonight I get so skype with Amy and tomorrow I'm going to skype Trevor! I am so excited :) And next weekend KIRI & MIKE ARE COMING TO VILNIUS! AHHH!! I cannot wait to see them. I have a fun weekend planned for them. 

Life is great here in the Baltics :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment