Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Kiri & Mike.

This was one of the best weekends I have spent in Vilnius so far this semester. Want to know why? Because this..

My dearest childhood friend Kiri came to visit! Her and her husband Mike have been doing a work-away in Wroclaw, Poland. They live with a really great family and help home school their two Polish boys. They also work in a local school teaching English. They get a free place to stay and all of their meals given to them. But they do get paid extra to work in the school. It seems like a pretty sweet deal! Anyway, they get to travel on the weekends all around, so they decided to come to Vilnius this last weekend.
They arrived around 8AM and we went straight to their airB&B rental to let them settle in. Not much is open until about 10AM in the old town, so we waited around for a bit. They were staying in a cozy little flat right in the center of Old Town. Their hosts were away for the weekend so they got the place to themselves. We went to breakfast at "Cozy" which was really yummy. I got one of my favourites, Ham & cheese pancakes! They are always so good, everywhere you go. And then I had some rice porridge with berries. I love porridge. Who knew? After breakfast, Kiri really needed her Pumpkin spice latte. We saw a sign in the Coffee Inn window advertising that they had them. We go inside and they say "No sorry, we are out." So we go to the other Coffee Inn down the street, and they say "Sorry, it is over." ??! Okay. So tell me, why is there an advertisement in your window? So annoying. After our coffee fail, we went up to Gedimino tower and viewed the city. We sat up there for a while and reminisced. It was so so wonderful.



Vilnius is SO cold right now. In the mornings it gets down to 28 degrees Fahrenheit. It is nearly unbearable for me. I don't ever remember being this cold last semester I was here. And it's only October!!
I showed them around the Old Town, we went to the main park, inside St. Anne's cathedral, Uzupis and Cathedral Square.



Finally found the swing!

We had lunch at Boom Burger. We probably waited 30 minutes for our burgers to be done, but they were delicious if you ask me! And Kiri's onion rings were divine. After lunch, I took them over to my side of town. I showed them around my area and showed them my dingy little apartment. We had tea and Kiri and I recorded a song we wrote together years and years ago. It was very very nice. We went back into town and had dinner at Cili Pica. We got pizza, Pierogi and crepes! Then we went back to their flat and chatted and drank some more tea. I stayed until the last bus would leave, and then said goodnight. 

The next morning, we met up and went to breakfast at a cafe on the main street. It was like a little stone tavern with really interesting dishes. I got roasted pork with pears and Tzatziki sauce. It was exxquisite! Mike got vegetable pie and a lasagna pancake, and Kiri got pumpkin soup and pancakes :) 


Who would have guessed this combination would be so delicious!?

After breakfast, we hopped on a bus to Trakai. We didn't have much time because they had to catch their bus back to Wroclaw at 5:20PM. But we made a quick little trip out there and it was perfect. We rented a pedal boat and pedaled around the castle. 



I love them. Their relationship is so fun and silly. They just make me so happy!

I wanted to take them to this traditional Kibinai restaurant that my host family took me to years ago, but I could NOT find it :( We had to settle for a more modern place, though it still served Kibinai. It was fine. But they didn't serve any sauce with our fried bread and the atmosphere wasn't cozy or traditional. That's alright though. We were pretty pressed for time!

It was such a wonderful weekend! Our phones stayed put in our bags so we were able to fully soak up each other's company the entire weekend. That was one of the best parts. 

Hopefully we will be able to meet up in Budapest on Halloween. That is the plan as of now :) 

On another note, things are going pretty well. I have been quite sick the past couple of days with an awful sinus infection and sore throat. It is quite miserable. School has been crazy as usual. We leave on our week vacation next week to Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna & Budapest!! I am so excited! And in November, 4 of us are going to Dublin, Ireland & Barcelona, Spain!!! :) I can't believe it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment